Monday, September 13, 2010

Turkey Chili


Every year, as soon as Labor Day is over, I usually find myself in full-fledged Fall mode... regardless of whether or not Mother Nature is cooperating.

But while it's only a week after the holiday, I will say she has not disappointed me yet.

The god-awful temperatures we have experienced for most of the summer seem to have subsided, at least for now - and I could not be happier to turn off the air conditioning and open the windows!

(Especially since my AC doesn't get the house below 78 degrees.)

With this gorgeous weather, I can crank the oven freely without fear of spontaneous combustion or turning my home into Hades.

More importantly, I can dust off my fall recipe collection, as well as the cans of pumpkin puree that I've been hoarding in my cabinet since last year (alongside the seventeen cans of diced tomatoes I was unknowingly amassing).

Hey. Canned goods last a long time, people.  My Great Aunt Joyce had a stockpiling of enough nonperishables to outlast World War III and I can assure you no one ever died from eating them.

But ... before we get to my latest pumpkin creation (pumpkin whoopie pies, mind you!) I would like to share with you my tried & true recipe for chili.  With the start of regular-season football this past week, I thought it would be appropriate.

And if you're really good, I'll share a recipe for cornbread, too.

(And by 'really good', I mean if you're rooting for the NY Giants to make it to the Superbowl.)

Just throwing that out there.

Turkey Chili
  • 1 to 1 1/3 lbs. ground turkey (lean ground beef is fine too) 
  • 1 1/2 T. canola oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 T. garlic, minced
  • 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes (can also use one with chiles), undrained
  • 1 T. apple cider vinegar
  • 2 t. brown sugar
  • 1 T. chili powder
  • 1/2 t. cumin
  • 1/4 t. garlic powder
  • 1/4 t. cayenne pepper (use more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/2 t. dried oregano 
  • 1/2 t. dried basil
  • freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 1 15 oz. can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
In large pot, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onions & cook until softened, about 3 minutes.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Add turkey & cook until no longer pink (this is why I like to use lean meat - otherwise you may want to drain the fat here, being careful not to lose the onions & garlic).

Add diced tomatoes, vinegar, brown sugar & spices along with 3/4 C. of water.  Bring to a boil , then reduce heat to low & simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally & adding more water if necessary to reach desired consistency.

Add kidney beans & simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes longer.  Serve with grated cheddar cheese and/or cornbread.

Original Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...