Friday, September 17, 2010

Sweet Yellow Cornbread


Ok.  So I can't leave you hanging with the cornbread recipe.

The turkey chili needs it... like the Giants are going to need some serious 'rooting' this Sunday night when they play Indianapolis.

You promised, remember?  I'd give you the cornbread and you'd wish for my team to make it to the Superbowl.

But the season just started so we're gonna have to take this one game at a time. 

Manning vs Manning, how utterly exciting!

C'mon.  Your chili told me it was lonely....

Chili & Cornbread. 


Manning & Manning.












   
Travis Lindquist/Getty Images found on Yahoo! Sports                
 
Mr. V is a Dolphins fan (I married him anyway) but he was reading an article with this pic from the last time Indy played NY & noticed the brothers have the SAME look on their faces!  

Gonna be a crazy game.

At least I know which Manning you'll be cheering for.

Anyhoo... this cornbread recipe is actually from the back of the cornmeal package.

I'll (sadly) admit that I used to make the Jiffy brand out of the box for convenience sake - but I started noticing it had a strange aftertaste.  Not to mention it probably has hydrogenated oils and all that bad stuff you're not supposed to eat.

The one thing I do like about the Jiffy cornbread is that it's sweet.  Like cake.

Mmmm.  Cake with dinner.

So I used Indian Head's suggestions for making their original recipe moister and sweeter.

Slightly more work for a cornbread that's waaaay better than anything out of a box!

Sweet Yellow Cornbread
  • 1 C. yellow corn meal 
  • 1 C. flour
  • 1/2 C. sugar
  • 3 t. baking powder
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1/2 C. oil
  • 2/3 C. milk
  • 2 eggs, beaten
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.  Mix oil, egg, and milk together and add to dry ingredients with a few stiff strokes.  Beat only until combined.  Bake in greased 9x9x2 inch pan for 20-25 minutes.

Recipe from Washington Quality Foods, the makers of Indian Head Corn Meal

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...